This qualification is aimed at fitness professionals wishing to design and lead exercise programmes for individuals with certain medical conditions. This is a challenging but very rewarding career pathway which not only expands your knowledge but also prepares you to work within exercise referral schemes.
Who is it for?
This course is suitable for anyone with the drive and passion to improve health and fitness. Regardless of whether you are a personal trainer, yoga teacher or gym instructor, you will meet people with medical conditions. Therefore, it is good practice to enhance your knowledge and understanding to ensure you provide the safest and most effective form of exercise. If you are considering completing any Level 4 specialist qualifications then this course is the mandatory pre-requisite.
If you are passionate about helping to improve the health, wellbeing and quality of life for a diverse range of clients then this is the course for you.
Learners must hold one or more of the following:
Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing or equivalent
Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Pilates
Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga
If you are a L2 Instructor you are required to complete two extra mandatory units as part of the Diploma which are:
L3 Anatomy & Physiology and L3 Nutrition for Physical Activity. These are completed as online learning with mentor support. The cost of these extra units is £245.
During this course you will cover:
- Professional practice for exercise referral instructors
- Understanding medical conditions for exercise referral
- 13 conditions covered, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, hypertension, high cholesterol, asthma, COPD, type 1 & type 2 diabetes, joint replacements, depression, stress, anxiety and simple mechanical back pain
- Planning exercise referral programmes with patients
- Instructing exercise with referred patients
- L3 Nutrition for physical activity (L2 Instructors Only)
- L3 Anatomy and physiology (L2 Instructors Only)
This course is offered as blended learning which requires home study using eLearning resources followed by attendance at 3 live online workshop sessions.
The workshop sessions are designed to help you deepen your understanding further alongside applying your knowledge to activities and scenarios in relation to all units from the course.
Length of Course
As a guide, this course will be completed within 8-10 weeks. You must attend all 3 online workshops. You will be required to complete 6-8 hours of learning ahead of the first workshop date. These workshops are being run online via Zoom.
- Enrol on course
- Study Unit 1 & 2 via online learning (recommended time is 3 weeks or 12 hours)
- Attend workshop 1 online
- Continue to study for 2 weeks (unit 2 & 3)
- Attend workshop 2 online
- Continue to study and complete assessments for 2 weeks (unit 3 &4)
- Attend final workshop online – be prepared to complete your practical assessment following this date
Plus for Level 2 Instructors only:
Online learning is required for 8-10 weeks prior to the exercise referral units being studied. The 8-10 weeks of online learning is a recommendation based on 2-3 hours a day; if you are able to dedicate a little more time, then this section could be completed in a shorter time period. Speak to a team member about this route for you.
The assessments include:
- Multiple Worksheets
- Exercise referral programme
- Programme review
- Letter to healthcare professional
- Session plan
- Practical assessment (video submission or attended*)
For Level 2 Instructors, you will also be required to complete:
- Knowledge questions and case study related to Nutrition
- E-book assessment
- 1 combined multiple choice theory paper (A&P and Nutrition combined)
Cost of Course
Level 3 Instructors: £425
* Proof of prior learning achievements will be required and a decision will be made as to whether the learner is exempt. L3 Personal Trainers need to have qualified within the last 4-5 years to be exempt.
Level 2 Instructors: £670
PTD Hub members receive a 10% discount from all of our courses*.
Finance options available via Payl8r. View the repayment calculator and find out more here. Simply select Payl8r on the course application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
2021 Online Workshop Dates
This course is delivered in enrolment windows:
Enrol before the 11th October and attend the following online workshop dates:
- 1st November, 9am-1pm
- 15th November, 9am-1pm
- 29th November, 9am-1pm
2022 Online Workshop Dates
Enrol before the 20th January 2022 and attend the following online workshop dates:
- 10th February, 9am-1pm
- 24th February, 9am-1pm
- 10th March, 9am-1pm
Enrol before the 17th March and attend the following online workshop dates:
- 7th April, 9am-1pm
- 21st April, 9am-1pm
- 5th May, 9am-1pm
Enrol before the 21st April and attend the following online workshop dates:
- 16th May, 9am-1pm
- 30th May, 9am-1pm
- 13th June, 9am-1pm
Enrol before the 14th July and attend the following online workshop dates:
- 4th August, 9am-1pm
- 18th August, 9am-1pm
- 1st September, 9am-1pm
Enrol before the 29th September and attend the following online workshop dates:
- 19th Sept, 9am-1pm
- 3rd Oct, 9am-1pm
- 17th Oct, 9am-1pm
Enrol before the 17th October and attend the following online workshop dates:
- 7th Nov, 9am-1pm
- 21st Nov, 9am-1pm
- 5th Dec, 9am-1pm
* Practical assessments can be completed via video submission or by attending a venue with an assessor. In person assessments are subject to COVID, assessor and venue availability.
How Do I Enrol?
You can enrol by downloading the application form below (see ‘Helpful Documents’) and then send it to email@example.com
If you wish to pay for this course via PayPal then click the button at the bottom of this screen and follow the steps. Alternatively, we will send you an invoice.
By the end of this course, you will be a fully qualified exercise referral instructor receiving a Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral (YMCA Awards).
What will I gain by completing this course?
You will have the knowledge and competence to plan and instruct exercise programmes for individuals with controlled medical conditions, working independently with clients or in a group. This course provides you with the opportunity to get involved in local exercise referral schemes and improve the health of your community. Following this course, you can progress your health and fitness career, including the opportunity to study Level 4 specialist disciplines such as Chronic Lower Back Pain, Cancer Rehabilitation, Phase IV Cardiac Rehabilitation and many more.
We run revision sessions for a range of conditions and topics over on our Facebook page. Have a look at our Page for the existing topics and then join us inside our private Facebook group to access further training sessions and future ones too!
- For iOS devices, download the free App here
- For Android devices, download the free App here
- For Windows, download the free software here
Need to pay for this course? Click the link to pay via PayPal: