This qualification is aimed at fitness professionals wishing to design and lead exercise programmes for individuals with certain medical conditions. This is a challenging but very rewarding career pathway which not only expands your knowledge but also prepares you to work within exercise referral schemes.
Who is it for?
This course is suitable for anyone with the drive and passion to improve health and fitness. Regardless of whether you are a personal trainer, yoga teacher or gym instructor, you will meet people with medical conditions. Therefore, it is good practice to enhance your knowledge and understanding to ensure you provide the safest and most effective form of exercise. If you are considering completing any Level 4 specialist qualifications then this course is the mandatory pre-requisite.
If you are passionate about helping to improve the health, wellbeing and quality of life for a diverse range of clients then this is the course for you.
During this course you will cover:
- Professional practice for exercise referral instructors
- Understanding medical conditions for exercise referral
- 13 conditions covered, including: osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, hypertension, high cholesterol, asthma, COPD, type 1 & type 2 diabetes, joint replacements, depression, stress, anxiety and simple mechanical back pain
- Planning exercise referral programmes with patients
- Instructing exercise with referred patients
- L3 Applying the principles of nutrition to a physical activity programme (L2 Instructors Only)
- L3 Anatomy and physiology for exercise and health (L2 Instructors Only)
Learners must hold one or more of the following:
Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing or equivalent
Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Pilates
Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga
Any qualifications which give entry to the REPs ‘Physical Activity Advisor category (e.g. YMCA Awards Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Walking)
If you are a L2 Instructor you are required to complete two extra mandatory units as part of the Diploma which are:
L3 Anatomy & Physiology for Exercise and Health and L3 Applying the Principles of Nutrition to a Physical Activity Programme. These are completed as online learning with mentor support. The cost of these extra units is £240.
This course is offered as blended learning which requires home study using eLearning resources followed by an intensive four days with direct face to face learning plus one assessment day.
Length of Course
4 days, Monday to Thursday 9am -5pm, 1 Assessment Day 9am-5pm, with home study required ( you will be allocated to a provisional assessment time).
Plus for Level 2 Instructors only:
Online learning is required for 8-10 weeks prior to the first attendance day. The 8-10 weeks of online learning is a recommendation based on 2-3 hours a day; if you are able to dedicate a little more time, then this section could be completed in a shorter time period.
The assessments include:
- 2 theory exams (Anatomy and Physiology and Applying the Principles of Nutrition)
- Multiple Worksheets
- Initial consultation
- Exercise referral programme
- Programme review
- Letter to healthcare professional
- Session plan
- Practical assessment
- Knowledge questions and case study related to Applying the Principles of Nutrition
Cost of Course
Full Diploma delivered via blended learning: £640
If you already hold L3 Anatomy and Physiology and L3 Applying the Principles of Nutrition (and they were completed in the last 3-4 years) then the intensive 5-day course will cost £400*.
* Proof of prior learning achievements will be required and a decision will be made as to whether the learner is exempt. L3 Personal Trainers need to have qualified within the last 3-4 years to be exempt.
2017 Dates in Norwich:
Monday 6th November- Thursday 9th November with the assessment day on Saturday 18th November 2017
2018 Dates in Norwich:
Monday 23rd April-Thursday 26th April with the assessment day on Saturday 5th May 2018
Monday 20th August- Thursday 23rd August with the assessment day on Saturday 31st August 2018
REPs Points & Accreditation
By the end of this course you will be a fully qualified exercise referral instructor receiving a Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral (YMCA Awards). You will gain Level 3 status onto the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) and will be awarded 20 CPD points.
- For iOS devices, download the free App here
- For Android devices, download the free App here
- For Windows, download the free software here
Need to pay for this course? Click the link to pay via PayPal: