Chair Based Exercise for Frailer Older Adults
This course aims to provide the learners with an awareness of how to adapt exercise for frailer older adults with emphasis on planning and designing chair based exercises. This course enables learners to run fun and enjoyable classes which allow those with movement restrictions to still benefit from physical activity and exercise.
Who is it for?
Would you like to encourage and motivate older adults to be more active and lead healthier lifestyles in a social and inclusive environment? If so, this course is for you. This course is suitable for anyone with the passion to make a difference to the lives of frailer older adults. Whether you are an existing fitness professional or not, if you have the drive and passion to improve the health, fitness and wellbeing of individuals aged 65+ and have the personality to make sessions fun and inclusive then this course will allow you to expand your skillset.
There are no pre-requisites for this qualification; however, knowledge of basic anatomy & physiology is desirable. A learner must be 16 years and over.
During this course you will cover:
- The values and principles of adult social care
- Knowledge and understanding of chair-based exercise and its value with adults in care and community settings, including frailer older adults
- The difference between chair-based exercise and physical activity
- The impact of body systems changes associated with ageing and inactivity
- The structure and content of a chair-based exercise session
- How to plan a chair based exercise session for frailer older adults
This course is currently offered as blended learning which requires online home study followed by virtual attendance at a workshop session (approx 3 hours) with your practical assessment submitted via video. There is a mix of theory and practical delivery during the course.
Length of Course
The guided learning hours for the course are 37. This is covered by online learning plus an online live workshop.
The assessments include:
- 4 worksheets
- Health & safety planning sheet
- Session plan
- Observed practical assessment (video submission)
Note: for the practical observation you will be required to use 6 participants (i.e. friend or family member).
Cost of Course
This course costs:
£225 for L2 Fitness Professionals (evidence required)
£295 for Non-Fitness Professionals
Online Workshop Dates – 2023
Saturday 18th November, 9am-12pm
Online Workshop Dates – 2024
Saturday 13th January, 9am-12pm
Saturday 2nd March, 9am-12pm
Saturday 20th April, 9am-12pm
These are held on Zoom
Please contact us for additional date information.
How Do I Enrol?
You can pay online and gain immediate access to the course materials. Just following these steps:
- Click ‘register to take this course’ and create an online account.
- Once logged in, navigate back to this page and select ‘Take this course’ to be taken to the payment window.
Once your application form has been received, you will be contacted within 24 hours by your personal mentor and an admin member who will confirm your suitability for the course and finalise confirmation. Ensure you read the terms and conditions. By purchasing this course you are agreeing to our Full Terms and Conditions and Online Booking Terms.
By the end of this course, you will be a fully qualified Chair Based Exercise Leader receiving a Level 2 Award in Delivering Chair Based Exercise (YMCA Awards).
What will I gain by completing this course?
You will have gained the knowledge and understanding to provide safe and effective exercise sessions for frailer older adults that are restricted to participating in predominately chair based forms of exercise. You will have expanded your skill set and would be able to offer a more extensive range of fitness sessions for this demographic group, providing an even more inclusive environment to exercise in.
- For iOS devices, download the free App here
- For Android devices, download the free App here
- For Windows, download the free software here