Supporting Participation in Physical Activity: Perinatal
This qualification is suitable for fitness professionals who would like to offer exercise sessions specifically for ante and postnatal women. It provides you with the knowledge and skills to develop safe and effective sessions for each stage of pregnancy and during the postnatal period. Gaining this knowledge will improve the diversity of the clients you can work with and give your clients the peace of mind that you are suitably qualified to understand their needs during this exciting and life changing time for them.
Who is it for?
This course is suitable for anyone passionate about supporting pregnant women and new mothers to become or remain active throughout their perinatal journey. All fitness professionals will benefit from the knowledge delivered in this qualification. Yoga and Pilates instructors will find it especially beneficial as these are forms of exercise highly recommended during pregnancy.
Learners must hold one or more of the following:
Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (gym, group etc)
Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral
Level 3 Diploma in Instructing Pilates Matwork
Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga
During this course you will cover:
- Anatomical, physiological and biomechanical changes in the antenatal and postnatal periods
- Types of delivery and the impact in relation to exercise
- The benefits of exercise and physical activity
- The barriers and concerns of physical activity and how to help clients overcome these
- The psychological impact of pregnancy and being a new mum
- The nutritional guidance you can provide
- How to promote exercise and engage clients
- How to suitably health screen perinatal clients
- How to manage risk in an exercise environment
- The exercise guidelines for each trimester and the postnatal period
- How to design an individualised safe and effective exercise programme for an antenatal or postnatal client
This course is offered as blended online learning with the support of a mentor. There are two pathway options for you to choose from and the details are below.
You can study at a time and place that is suitable for you, making the course more accessible.
Studying will take place within our Online Learning Environment. The information is taught via a series of video presentations to replicate the classroom experience. Interactive activities and quizzes are used to check on your learning progress as you move through the units. The online learning environment is compatible with all modern devices.
Pathway A – This is a theory based qualification which requires you to study the online lessons at your own pace. You will then be assessed via questions, the creation of two resources, worksheets and a case study. No attendance is required.
Pathway B – This pathway will provide you with the status of ‘Practitioner’. You will complete the same as pathway A, plus two additional practical assessments (antenatal client and postnatal client). To support you, you will be required to attend one live Zoom workshop (approx 3 hours). You will then participate in two practical observations via video submission, live on Zoom or in person (subject to location). These must be performed with real life antenatal and postnatal women. Details about these assessments can be discussed with your mentor.
You will have a personal mentor who will get in contact with you and they are there for support and guidance throughout the course.
Length of Course
The time it takes to complete this qualification is dependant upon the time you have available to commit to it, your learning style and the pathway you choose to complete.
As a rough guide, it is possible to complete this qualification within 4-5 weeks. This is based on 2-3 hours of learning per day. If you can complete more training each day then you may be able to complete it faster; equally, if you are not able to commit 2-3 hours a day then it may take longer. You need to take into consideration which pathway you are completing, the dates of the support workshops and the time it will take to complete the associated assessments.
You have one year to complete the qualification from enrolment. A timescale will be discussed between you and your mentor to help give you an idea of course duration.
The assessments include:
- Question and answers – automatically marked
- Creation of two information resources
- Applied case study questions
- Case study and exercise programme (scenario based)
The same 4 assessments as Pathway A, plus:
- Observation of a practical teaching for antenatal client
- Observation of a practical teaching for a postnatal client
Workshop Dates 2024
Wednesday 24th January, 2pm-5pm
Cost of Course
Pathway A – £290
Pathway B – £340*
The fee includes the cost of a hard copy manual and hardcopy certificate alongside all online resources and support (according to pathway)
* If you choose to enrol online, you will be charged £290. If you wish to complete Pathway B, you will be invoiced £50 when booking the Zoom workshop.
PTD Hub members receive a 10% discount on all of our courses.**
How Do I Enrol?
As long as you have the correct pre-requisite qualification, you can pay online and gain immediate access to the course materials. Just follow these steps:
- Click ‘register to take this course’ and create an online account.
- Once logged in, navigate back to this page and select ‘Take this course’ to be taken to the payment window.
Once your application form has been received, you will be contacted within 24 hours by your mentor and an admin member who will confirm your suitability for the course and finalise confirmation. Ensure you read the terms and conditions. By purchasing this course you are agreeing to our Full Terms and Conditions and Online Booking Terms.
What will I gain by completing this course?
As well as the accreditation stated below, you will have the knowledge and competence to plan and instruct exercise programmes for antenatal and postnatal women, opening doors to a new and exciting career in the fitness industry.
This is a recognised qualification from YMCA Awards. By the end of this course, you will be a fully qualified perinatal instructor, receiving a Level 3 Award in Supporting Participation in Physical Activity: Perinatal. If you complete Pathway B, you will be recognised with the term ‘practitioner’ on your certificate to confirm you have demonstrated relevant skills in delivering exercise for this population.
You will be awarded 10 CIMSPA CPD points for completion.
- For iOS devices, download the free App here
- For Android devices, download the free App here
- For Windows, download the free software here
** See our terms and conditions