The purpose of this qualification is to provide learners with an understanding and awareness of mental health, common mental health disorders and issues, help reduce stigma and discrimination and encourage people to talk about mental health. Furthermore, the qualification should provide learners with the ability to apply their knowledge of mental health through recognising and responding to the signs of mental ill health in themselves and others and be able to offer mental health first aid to people experiencing mental ill health.
Who is it for?
This qualification is suitable for anyone who would like to develop their knowledge and understanding of mental health conditions and how to help someone through mental health first aid. Fitness professionals would benefit greatly from having a deeper understanding since exercise is a recommended intervention. Equally, this qualification would benefit those in care or similar roles.
There are no pre-requisites for this qualification, it is accessible to everyone.
During this course you will cover:
- Mental health awareness
- Understanding mental health
- Understanding mental health disorders
- The main risk factors associated with mental ill health
- Common treatments and interventions used to manage mental health and mental ill health
- Understanding the support and advice for mental ill health
- Mental health first aid
- Recognise the signs of mental ill health
- Providing initial help to a person experiencing mental ill health
- Escalating situations when a person may be at risk of harm to themselves or others
- Mental health first aid for specific mental health disorders
- Listening and communicating in a non judgemental way
- Signposting appropriate sources of help
- Promoting good mental health
This course is offered as distance learning which requires studying via the Active IQ e-learning platform with support from a hard copy manual and mentor. You are required to attend 2 live webinars (a range of dates available) before completing your e-assessment.
Length of Course
The length of the course is dependent upon the number of hours you have to study and your learning pace. The total qualification time is approximately 20 hours.
The assessments include:
- Two e-assessments (open book assessments)
Cost of Course
This course costs £195.
Online Workshop Dates 2022
If these dates are not suitable then please contact the office to discuss options as we can add more dates based on learner progress and demand.
Thursday 10th March 12-1pm- Unit 1
Thursday 24th March 12-1pm- Unit 2
More dates to be released soon. We can add additional workshop dates according to demand and requirements, just contact the office.
How Do I Enrol?
You can enrol by downloading the application form below (see ‘Helpful Documents’) and then send it to email@example.com
If you wish to pay for this course via PayPal then click the button at the bottom of this screen and follow the steps. Alternatively, we will send you an invoice.
Once enrolled we will send you confirmation details and Active IQ will send you e-learning access and a manual.
By the end of this course, you will receive an Active IQ Level 2 Award in Mental Health Awareness on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF).
What will I gain by completing this course?
You will have gained the knowledge and understanding to support yourself, family members, friends and clients in maintaining mental health and identifying mental ill health. The knowledge can help you adapt existing exercise sessions and ensure that the sessions are inclusive to everyone. The course will give you the confidence to speak more openly about mental health.
- For iOS devices, download the free App here
- For Android devices, download the free App here
- For Windows, download the free software here